White water rafting dates back to 1842 and is still a very popular sport today. I know lots of people who have had a go at this extreme sport, and I have also tried it out for myself at a simple course. I am not the bravest person in the world but it is enjoyable and if you are a bit daring and a thrill seeker then defiantly give it a go! As the saying goes you don’t know until your try. You never know it might just turn out to be something you really enjoy and even take up as a hobby.
If it turns out to be more than just a one off for you, there are various clubs and groups that travel the world to test out lakes and rivers famous for this sport, such as the ones in Colorado and Costa Rica. It can be very sociable and you will not only get to partake in a sport you love but interact with like minded people.
One of the best things about this sport is that anybody can give it a go. It doesn’t matter if you aren’t into sports or have never done anything like it before because there are different courses for beginners, intermediates and experts. There are different levels of difficulty, easy for those who are a bit afraid and more testing waters for those who really seek out a challenge. If you are having doubts about trying it for yourself or simply wondering why people do it here are some reasons:
- Adventurous types, if you are looking for another sport to tick of your list and fill the need for adrenaline this is definitely worth giving a go.
- If you are brave enough to be able to go out on a lake or river instead of being at a centre, you will discover lots of natural beauty and places you would never see from being on the land.
- If you like to push boundaries and test out your strength and endurance this is a great way to do so, and a different form than just taking part in obvious gym exercises.
- If you are somebody who cares for the planet and wants to take part in ‘greener’ activities, this does little to no damage to the surroundings
- When searching for something different to take part in yet are saving up for something or are low on cash, this is a relatively cheap option for an extreme sport.
- It is a great way of bonding with friends, family or work colleagues. No matter what the occasion is you can take part in it and work together as a team.
If you have never tried it before why not give white water rafting a go? If you attend a centre the equipment is already provided for you so you do not have to worry about health and safety or having the right gear. It is always great to try something different and even scare yourself a bit, so go give it a try and enjoy! Make this your something new to try for the day.